Jai VijayRaya !
Jai VyasaRaya !
Jai Bedi Anjaneya !
Hare Srinivasa !!!
Why have a post on such a trivial topic ?
To answer this question, let me ask some questions in return.
How does your day go if you don’t take bath? If your bath is interrupted, do you maintain the calmness of mind to do pooja?
Where do your thoughts go during snana ? What is the definition of snana?
From the questions you can see, that snan is not as trivial as it thought to be. It is practically the first step of cleansing of the day, how can we maximize it? how to ensure that it is as per shastras? how to maintain madi (purity), in studio/appartment/hotel/during travel ?
SriMadAcharya has outlined that whatever jiva does with body, senses, mind, intelligence should be offered to Narayana.
Sadachara Smriti has outlined the following steps while taking bath.
1. Remember God while waking at Brahmamuhurtam (around 4:00 am) and when one sits after getting up. Go to toilet, brush teeth, do achamana and take bath.
2. Reciting “OdrutAsi varAhEna” hymn one should apply tulasimruttike to the body. Then immerse yourself into the water three times by chanting vasudeva 12 letter mantra, narayana 8 letter mantra, Vishnu 6 letter mantra or Krishna 6 letter mantra.
Then do achamana, then recite “Apo hi shTha” and sprinkle water on the body. Repeat the process once again. This time instead of “Apo hi shTha” recite the aghamarshaNa Sukta – “rutvancha satyam cha”
3. Holding the breath immerse your head into the water and remember Sri Hari as described in aghamarshaNa sUkta. Recite purushasUkta and sprinkle water on your head.
This chanting of mantras, dhyana and pouring of water together form a snana as per shastras. This type of snana was done and demonstrated by SriMadAcharya in Alaknanda; where the water is ice old and just flowing ice.
Sri Vishnu Tirtharu has given a simple process by which we can do snana, irrespective of location, water, travel constraints. This is called Dhyana Snana and appears in Vamana Purana; as the name suggests whatever your constraint while taking bath “dhyana” is entirely in your control.
This was originally posted at the following link. I’m posting it here, so even trivial process can be followed with Sri Hari anusandhana which is good for Sri Hari Vayu Stuti. Leave no stone unturned for Sri Hari Sadhana.
1. After remembering Trivikrama, the Dhyana Snana vidhi mentioned which destroy all sins and give proper and full results to all good deeds done
* Trivikrama roopa shows that Sri Hari is present everywhere sarva vyapti and is the roopa for the origin of Ganga.
2. Mantra Murthy Shri Hari is invoked, Vasudeva roopi Paramatma is to be concentrated on, having four arms, shining more than infinite suns.
3. Shri Hari is holding Shanka, Chakra, Gada, Padma in his four hands; wearing a splendid yellow clothes; colour of dark clouds, peaceful heart, smiling and bringing good fortune always.
4. His wearing many precious jewels, his earings are studded with many precious stones in the shape of sea animal makara; he is wearing a beautiful fragrant garland upto his knees, he is being worshipped by Narada and other devotees.
* Meaning of Narada
Naram means Gynanam – Naram dadti iti Narada – bestower of knowledge to others is called Narada. Chaturmukha Brahma first gave knowledge to the world. Hence Narada here means ChaturMukha Brahma
5. He is wearing splendid glittering golden wrist ornaments, that create a jingling sound; he is wearing beautiful shoulder ornaments; he is the creator, protector, etc of the world; he is wearing a splendind glittering golden crown
6. His feet have the markings of flag, vajra, ankusha (elephant goad) and padma. His feet are complete and pure and sacred. By the touch of his lotus feet, the divine river Ganga has started from outside the Brahmanda by the hole created and she falls on her feet, hence she is called Vishnu Pada Udaka
7. That sacred water after touching the lotus feet of Shri Hari, is sprinkled by her to wash off all the impurities in the mind, body etc. That instant, the feeling will be like taking bath in the divine Virija river.
8. To clean from inside out i.e. both inside and outside, such a bath should be contemplated in the mind. Such a bath is very sacred and hundred times purer than a mere mechanical bath
9. In the Ida naadi Bhagirathi, Ganga should be remembered. In the Pingala naadi, Yamuna is to be remembered. In the Sushumna Naadi, Saraswathi River is to be remembered.
* Ida Naadi ends in right nostril, Pingala in left nostril, Sushumna (central) is the spinal cord.
10. In the stream/water of dhyana and depth of knowledge; all doshas are erased. All who do such dhyana snana, they reach ultimate destination. Such a person, will not suffer any defect due to association and environments.
11. This dhyana snana done properly, is better than taking bath in all the 3 crore tirthas.
12. Whoever does snana like this daily and remembers Narayana always, who chants this shloka in the morning with devotion. Such a person will not face untimely death and can cross over the clutches of Yama. Let there be no doubt about this.
13. Whether a person is impure or pure; in all stages, he should remember Narayana who has eyes like beautiful lotuses. By such dhyana, snana should be performed.
Thus Dhyana Snana described in Vamana Purana as seen by Adavi Sri VishnuTirtha
Jai Bedi Anjaneya antargata Sri Krishnarpanamastu !